Interesting People mailing list archives

Electronic voting

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:40:03 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Peter G. Neumann" <neumann () csl sri com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:33:43 -0800 (PST)
To: dave () farber net
Cc: mercuri () acm org
Subject: Re: Lynn Landes' analysis of the 2002 Elections from RISKS

FOR IP.  Below is a response from Rebecca.
Here also is my own comment--

The most important question to ask is this:

  With respect to this year's all-electronic voting machines, is there any
  meaningful evidence that the vote you cast was correctly recorded -- that
  is, evidence that there were no misconfigured systems, accidents, internal
  fraud, etc.?  For almost all of the existing systems (with the exception
  of one that actually incorporates the Mercuri Mechanism, namely, Avante),
  the answer is an UNEQUIVOCAL NO.  This is an untenable situation if you
  believe in election integrity, IRRESPECTIVE of your party affiliations.

PGN