Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Appears that a contract from Apple is NOT worth the Paper it is written on!

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 14:56:34 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Simon Higgs <simon () higgs com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:45:09 -0800
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: <[IP]> Appears that a contract from Apple is NOT worth the Paper
it is written on!

At 05:21 AM 11/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:

This is nothing new. In the "old days" - i.e. pre-PCI bus, the Apple Care
coverage was excellent and on-site service was the norm. Our local service
under the pre-PCI warranty, which was excellent, was not provided by Apple
but was provided by a Kodak service engineer under contract.

Apple Care coverage really went south around the time Steve Jobs came back
in 1997. The first sign that something was wrong was when the lifetime
telephone support coverage, which was guaranteed on all new products
purchased between September 1, 1992, until approximately April 1, 1996, was
suddenly stopped in October 1997. After that time Apple started charging
users fees for telephone support:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/1999/9901/9823005cmp.htm

It took intervention by the FTC to re-instate coverage:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/1999/9901/appassu.htm

Apple Care finally went into the toilet when the PCI-bus Macs came out, and
has remained there ever since. The G4 on-site warranty disappeared in
January 2002. There have been a number of Class Action suits against Apple
for failing to honor it's warranty with regard to:

Powerbook hinges
Power Supply Failures of Apple Laptop Adapters
http://death.berkeley.edu/~kenao/unhinged/updates.html

Airports failing to work with certain ISPs
DVD Playback Software
Playing Copy protected CD's VOID Apple's warranty

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Apple+Computer%22+Warranty+%22Class+Action
%22&btnG=Search+Google

I used to buy only Apple computers, but, tired of Apple's lies (like "your
Mac will be supported by all future operating systems") I won't buy another
Mac unless I have no other choice. It's much easier to build and service an
x86 machine with non-proprietary parts or get a laptop with an extended
warranty from a reputable dealer.

------ End of Forwarded Message