Interesting People mailing list archives

Intel Corp. & Legal Threats Against Intelligence Community

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:25:25 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:55:08 -0500
From: Ben N. Venzke <bvenzke () intelcenter com>
To: osint () yahoogroups com
Subject: <[osint]> Intel Corp. & Legal Threats Against Intelligence Community
------
As some of you may already know, Intel Corp. is currently pursuing
legal action against all organizations, companies and entities that
it can find which use the word "intel" or "intell" as an abbreviation
for the word intelligence in their name or domain. Consequently,
Intel is threatening us with legal action if we do not cease using
our company name "IntelCenter" and our domain intelcenter.com. Under
Intel's criteria of what they feel constitutes a violation of their
trademark, Brooks Isoldi's Intellnet organization and the
intellnet.org domain will also be in violation.

According to Intel's argument as presented to us in two letters and
from correspondence with others who are going through the same
dispute with Intel, it does not matter that it is highly unlikely
that someone will mistake a counterterrorism intelligence
organization with a computer chip manufacturer. Intel maintains that
the mere existence of an entity with that name dilutes the value of
their mark.

As those of us who are part of or have been part of the intelligence
community know, the word "intel" and to a lesser extent "intell" have
been around as an abbreviation for the word intelligence and in
documented usage since the time of George Washington and perhaps even
earlier. This considerably predates Intel's "creation" of the world
"Intel" by combining the first part of integrated and electronics in
1968.

Our first notification from Intel was received the day after the one
year anniversary of 9-11 while trying to make sense of a barrage of
terrorist threats during that tense period. Intel's lawyer was
considerate enough to point out that Intel did not want to interfere
with our "laudable goals or business in any way." However, Intel
requested we "cease all use of IntelCenter as a name, trademark,
domain name, or otherwise."

I need your help. If you have any documented usage of the word
"intel" or "intell" as an abbreviation for intelligence, please send
me copies if possible. The older it is, the better.

Also, I'm actively collecting letters supporting the argument that
intel/intell is short for the word intelligence and in common usage.
The more detail you can provide in the letter about your background
and perspective on the issue the more effective it will be. You can
email your letter to me at bvenzke () intelcenter com or fax it to
703-370-1571. Our snail mail address is below.

It burns me that my company and all the other organizations fighting
Intel Corp. need to be dealing with this now when we should be
focusing all our energy on al-Qaeda and other threats to our country
but apparently Intel is of the opinion that this is more important
for us.

                        Ben Venzke
                        CEO
______________________