Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Web birth dates

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 17:08:57 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Robert Cailliau <robert.cailliau () cern ch>
Date:     Sat, 11 May 2002 09:32:22 -1000
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

I'm sorry to have found this message so late, my reply is also late.

Time to get some myths out of the way:

The best reference to date for the history of the Internet and the Web is
the book http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-286207-3
and in German at http://www.dpunkt.de/buecher/3-89864-108-2.html
My name is on it almost by accident (Oxford University Press wanted
it that way), but James Gillies is the person who did all the
research and discovered quite a number of myths and onversights.
I'm sure there are still inaccuracies in that book too, and it is
also not complete.

The first web server went on line in December 1990.  There is of
course no exact date for this, because we gradually came to a state
in which the thing worked. It was somewhere towards the end of
December that we felt it was sufficiently stable that it could be
called "working".

During 1991, a number of servers in institutes in Europe installed web
servers.

Then there are two other "important" dates:

12 December 1991 when the first server in the USA came on line
(Stanford Linear Accelerator Center).  See
http://www-project.slac.stanford.edu/webanniv/

April 1993, when I succeeded in convincing CERN to put the software
library in the public domain. That was only necessary to convince the
Americans that they could actually use the library software to build
browsers.

I guess it's a long, forever uphill struggle to convince Americans
that they have not necessarily invented everything.
Sigh.
                           Robert Cailliau

Web Communications & Public Education      | Treasurer IW3C2
Education & Technology Transfer Division   | IW3C2
C E R N                                    | POBox 12, CERN
European Organization for Nuclear Research | CH - 1211 Geneve 23
CH - 1211 Geneve 23                        |
http://www.cern.ch/                        | http://www.iw3c2.org/

tel: +41 22 76 75005
personal: http://www.cern.ch/CERN/Divisions/ETT/WPE/People/RobertCailliau/

Maybe you two should try to reply to this (Dave Farber's widely read IP
list).

David