Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Problems at Verisign?

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 08:33:10 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Peter Jensen <pjensen () pollen com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 17:44:31 -0400
To: "David Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: For IP - Problems at Verisign?

Dr. Farber -

For IP, if you feel it appropriate.

Recent experiences with Verisign/Netsol have left me with grey hair and
not much to show for it, although their motto is "The Value of Trust".

When you call Verisign today, you get routed to outside companies who are
now handling all their calls.  Even the old direct numbers I had from
years ago are now connected to the same routing system.  A moment ago, I
was routed to a vendor in the Philipines, where it was 4AM.  Yesterday, I
was routed to a vendor in Utah.  My most recent call was my fourth
attempt to resolve a domain transfer that has been hanging for weeks -
and is completely paid for.  Each call produces the same answer from
these reps - we're sorry you're having problems, and no, we can't tell
you who to contact to resolve this problem.

Lest this seem anomolous, yesterday I spent an hour on the phone trying
to resolve a completely different issue - payment for a slew of new
domains, where my credit card (AMEX - no limit) wouldn't go through.  The
customer service rep kept telling me to "correct" the information on my
screen to reflect the correct credit card info - and I kept telling him
it was.  It finally became clear we were viewing two non-connected
databases - even though the screen I was viewing was a direct link from
the email Verisign had sent me two days earlier.  He was looking at an
internal Verisign database showing different information.  Whois on first?

I could go on - like the charges in January for eleven years of renewal
on a domain I renewed for one year - they finally sent me a note today
(yes, today) that they are crediting my account $29.  Must be new math.
Register.com is beginning to look very attractive - and in my
organization we have hundreds of domains.

Is Verisign the same organization that is now going to be "verifying"
people at eBay, as I heard yesterday, and auctioning off the .bz (Belize)
domain names?

Peter Jensen
Vice President, Online Business Development
Surveillance Data Incorporated
Pollen.com  Accurate allergy forecasts for the entire US.
FluSTAR.com  The most up-to-date influenza information.

610-834-0800
610-834-8817 (FAX)

Pollen.com has appeared in People Magazine, US News and World Report,
Yahoo's Internet World Magazine, USA Today, Elle Magazine, Self Magazine,
and hundreds of newspapers, magazines and television shows nationally.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/