Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Open Letter From Harvey Reid About Internet Radio (April 2002)

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 13:59:31 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "H. Reid" <hreid () woodpecker com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:48:24
To: farber () CIS UPENN EDU
Subject: Open Letter From Harvey Reid About Internet Radio (April 2002)

This is a general letter from me (independent musician Harvey Reid)
to everyone in my e-mail list. I hope you take a couple minutes to
read this. (I have also posted it on the web at
http://www.woodpecker.com/writing/essays/carp_letter.html )It's
important to the future of internet radio, and if you like music you
should look at this, even if you don't yet listen to internet radio
yourself. As a musician who owns my own music and own my own record
label, I don't see the viewpoint of artists like me being presented
anywhere in discussions of this issue. This is more than just a
general "wake up" letter about the problem; I am specifically
suggesting here that there are many of us who own our own music who
want it played on the internet, and who don't feel that the RIAA is
acting on our behalf when they claim to represent "The Record Labels."
HARVEY REID

Open Letter From Harvey Reid About Internet Radio

Those of us in the independent music community (musicians and
listeners both) may need to wake up and take some action to protect
the existence of internet radio, and maybe as soon as May 20. This is
a real situation, and not an internet hoax. I have been following
this story for months and the time is now.

Almost a year ago, in the wake of the Napster mess, the major record
labels started making moves to try to get the courts to classify
internet radio as the same as digital file trading, and have now made
a serious move that, if successful, will essentially stamp it out by
applying hefty fees to broadcasters, PAYABLE TO RECORD COMPANIES, (in
addition to ASCAP and BMI fees) and retroactive to 1998. The small
internet broadcasters feel certain that they will be put out of
business by these fees if it happens, since none of their operations
are particularly profitable in the first place. The deadline is May
20, when The Copyright Office votes on whether to apply this fee,
known as CARP. There are a lot of articles on the web right now about
this, that detail it carefullly, and if you doubt me or want to learn
some details, please go read them. (At the bottom of this e-mail are
many more links.)

http://www.saveinternetradio.org/   (They have specific instructions
of how you can send a letter, fax or e-mail to Congress)

http://salon.com/tech/feature/2002/03/26/web_radio/index.html
http://www.wired.com/news/mp3/0,1285,44416,00.html
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article/0,,3_1007651,00.html

THE LOWDOWN
Unlike a lot of complicated music business stuff, this is simple: a
lot of us, specifically independent musicians and small record
labels, view internet radio as desirable, and do not want it
squashed. Unlike major labels, who have stated that they do not want
their music played on internet radio, many of us want it.

We need to do 2 vital things and do them quickly: 1) prevent the
retroactive part of the fee from being levied, and 2)  band together
and form a coalition, and offer alternative music to internet radio
in a way that they can afford. (I have some specific ideas not
described here.) We independents have been squeezed out of most media
and airplay, and the ability of anyone on earth with an internet
connection to listen to music "broadcast" anywhere else on earth is a
far better way to discover, propagate and enjoy new music than hoping
you are in the signal range of a radio station that might have a DJ
playing interesting music. If one DJ anywhere is playing good
Bluegrass or Polkas on the internet, we can all listen to it.

WHY THIS IS SO IMPORTANT
As an independent musician who is being shoved ever further out of
airplay for my recorded music, I look to internet radio as one of the
best (and one of the few) remaining ways for my work to be heard.
Most internet radio uses a streaming audio format similar to Real
Audio, which is lower quaility than a cassette, and certainly not the
"perfect digital copy" that the record labels claim to fear. The
primary thing that people use internet radio for is to listen, and
learn about artists they haven't heard. It's my belief that if they
hear me on internet radio, they will be more likely to buy my CD's
and come to my concerts.

If we contact the internet webcasters individually there will be
little impact, but I am suggesting that if a large number of us who
control our own work felt similarly and act as a group, it would be a
newsworthy and possibly effective way to confront the situation. It
could mean that internet radio, which has huge potential to spread
music around the world, can have a reason to ONLY play truly
independent music. The story of what we are doing might also help us
get exposure and press, and call attention to the tens or even
hundreds of thousands of us who make and sell our own music and don't
want to live by rules dictated by major labels. This story can also
help listeners and webcasters learn about and access the vast source
of musical content that exists outside the control of the major
labels.

If I just announce that my catalog of 15 albums I own is available,
that is a small story, but if hundreds or thousands of us do it at
once, it could be a big story, and maybe a media break we have all
been waiting for. The battle between ASCAP and BMI in the 1940's had
a huge effect on music of the day, and suddenly changed what people
could hear. This is very likely one of those rare times in history
when an entrenched system suddenly changes. If the major labels don't
want their content played on internet radio, fine, let them take
their ball and go home,and let The People play and listen what they
want on the internet, especially artists who want to be played there.
As I see it, this is quite different from the Napster situation.

I recommend that individuals, small labels, and organizations that
represent them (such as IBMA and Folk Alliance) look into this
seriously, perhaps take a leadership role in this matter, and even
communicate with other established groups to build an even more
united front. We can join as a common voice to offer our recorded
works to webcasters be played on the internet without them fearing
they will be sued or charged outrageous fees. I am sure that the
music industry has no idea how many independent artists and labels
are out there, and how much interesting music might be available to
broadcasters and to the listeners if the major labels refuse access
to their catalogs. It would be an exciting and healthy thing actually
if all of a sudden you HAD to play real independent music on the web.

BLUEPRINT FOR ACTION (QUICKLY!) WHAT WE NEED TO DO --

* Learn all we can about what is going on, and discuss this with each
other, and figure out who is going to do what. People with leadership
ability and resources need to step forward, and it won't be that much
work, and it does not look like a long, drawn out battle. It even
looks like it could be quick and simple and decisive. (Let's hope.)
This is finally an issue that hits close to home and that you can
easily explain to your mom.

* Put together e-mail lists of our friends, colleagues and fans, and
circulate the news about what is going on. The same media
conglomerates that control the record labels control the radio and
news, and it's not a coincidence that there has been so little press
about this.

* Prepare and circulate a petition (probably by e-mail, due to
anthrax fears) to encourage our lawmakers either not to levy the fee,
or at least to not apply the retroactive part. (See below)

* Establish a dialog immediately with internet broadcasters, and let
them know that there are a lot of us who are willing to be reasonable
with them, and let them know there may be something for them to play
on May 21. We can't wait until then to start discussions.

* Prepare a web page sign-up form where those of us who own a body of
music can stand up and be counted and indicate our willingness to
join in a negotiation with internet radio groups, so they can know
that they might have a significant body of music to choose from in
their broadcasts.

* If you own some recorded music, think hard about whether you want
to join the coalition, and even harder about whether you want the
major labels to even be able to impose their CARP fees, as long as
they are not retroactive. If the majors get out of the game, we
independents can have the internet radio to ourselves, and we can
make an end run around them, and I smile when I contemplate this
scenario. There is a huge amount of independent stuff out there, and
contrary to some people's belief, it is not of inferior quality to
major label stuff. (We might have to make some kind of a list of
examples of what artists are out there making good music as an
example to those who doubt.)

* Prepare some kind of an agreement (perhaps someone could put a
lawyer on this) between independent artists/labels and internet
radio. This will be tricky, and both sides will have to meet certain
criteria that are acceptable to the other. The small labels want to
make sure the broadcasters are really acting like a radio station,
and the webcasters will need to make sure the artists and small
labels do indeed control the content they claim they do, and are
willing to grant certain uses of it.

* Look into what happened to the money the record labels scammed the
last time they pulled this same thing with Home Taping. There has
been a small tax on blank media for 10 years now, ever since the
record labels complained so loud in the 1980's that home taping was
ruining their business. It would not surprise me to learn that that
money was not properly accounted for or distributed. I am a small
label, and I have never received a dime or heard of anyone who did.

* Alert the media and writers/journalists, since this is a good
story, and they need to start following it right away and helping it
along before the May 20 deadline.

Chordally yours,

Harvey Reid
Independent Recording Artist Since 1982
http://www.woodpecker.com

These links were sent to me, and contains many helpful links:

"How you can help" campaigns

http://www.radioparadise.com/ ?content=web_radio Radio Paradise

http://www.wizardfkap.com /Wizard Radio (new!)

http://www.kurthanson.com/ letter_to_copyright.asp Ultimate 80s, et al.