Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FBI 'Carnivore' glitch hurt al Qaeda probe

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:29:52 -0400

Seems to they were warned. Djf
-----Original Message-----
From: John Lyon <jelyon () jelyon com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:23:01
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: For IP: FBI 'Carnivore' glitch hurt al Qaeda probe

FBI 'Carnivore' glitch hurt al Qaeda probe

WASHINGTON (Reuters) --Glitches in a controversial FBI system to monitor the
e-mail of suspected criminals likely hampered an investigation of al Qaeda
two years ago, according to internal FBI documents released Tuesday.

According to memos obtained by the Electronic Privacy Information Center,
FBI investigators threw out the results of an e-mail wiretap in March 2000
because the system, commonly known as "Carnivore," collected electronic
messages of regular Internet users as well as the target of the probe.

--
John Lyon :: http://jelyon.com :: Random Abstracts - JELyon's Rampage

Now as through this world I ramble - I see lots of funny men
Some will rob you with a six gun - And some with a fountain pen.
               "Pretty Boy Floyd" -- Woody Guthrie

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/