Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Mind-blowing-- How to own the Internet in yourspare time

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:38:56 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Andy Duff" <andy () luddo com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:57:24 +0100
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Subject: RE: Mind-blowing-- How to own the Internet in yourspare time

I sent the Vern Paxson paper to a couple of Network guys I know. Here's
their responses, which I found pretty interesting.

On Mon 27 May Mike Astle wrote:

The CDC part of this article just makes no sense.  The authors spend the
majority of the paper showing that a worm could infect the entire Internet
in less than a minute.  They then call for the creation of a body to
combat infections which are by their own admission "so fast that no
human-mediated counter-response is possible".

I am convinced that the creation and distribution of a super-virus is
possible, but I agree with Sam that the virus as described in this paper
depends on so many assumptions (all neatly stated and then overlooked)
as to be unlikely.

It is unclear to me who might have an interest in releasing a truly
destructive virus.  It will still be some time before a disruption of the
Internet will hamper a country's military, so nations at war are not a
realistic culprit.  Terrorists?  Seems unlikely.  It would be inconvenient
to not be able to read slashdot, but I wouldn't feel particularly
terrorized.  You'd get much more effect out of a few suicide bombers.
Maybe anti-globalization types?  Financial institutions would take a
pretty good hit from a loss of Internet connectivity.