Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: F Security can be more about power trips than safe travel

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 20:42:34 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 12:56:54 -0400
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Security can be more about power trips than safe travel

Security can be more about power trips than safe travel
Elliott Hester
Sunday, May 26, 2002

Whenever I hear about passenger "outbursts" at airport security
checkpoints, my temperature always rises a few degrees. What are
these people trying to accomplish? Why are they being so thorny with
the people who are trying to keep them safe? But a recent clash with
airport security at Miami International Airport made me realize that
some passengers have valid complaints.

Traveling for pleasure and dressed in civilian clothes, I placed my
carry- on on the conveyor belt and prepared to walk through the metal
detector. "Take off your jacket, please," said a security attendant.
He was young, maybe 21 or 22, slope-shouldered and pimply-faced.
Because I -wasn't wearing a jacket, I looked up in surprise. "Your
jacket," he repeated. "Take it off and put it through the machine."

<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/05/2
6/TR1222.DTL>

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: