Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Erich Bloch Honored with Vannevar Bush Award forLong-Running Contributions to S&T

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 11:27:37 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ted Kircher" <tkircher () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:13:02 -0400
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: Erich Bloch Honored with Vannevar Bush Award forLong-Running
Contributions to S&T

Dave, Erich Bloch was the director of the IBM laboratory in Poughkeepsie
during the latter part of the 1960's.   At that time, I was in OS/360
architecture, and it was thanks to Erich's foresight  that I was able to get
virtual memory adopted.  While the programmers felt that 'virtual memory was
virtual performance', Erich recognized that virtual memory would sell
additional disk storage - a major profit component of mainframes.

Unfortunately, IBM lost their visionaries like Erich eventually, and this led
to their debacle with Microsoft and Intel.  I retired in '92 when I could not
sell multimedia, and upper management still felt they had a chance of selling
OS/2 and the PowerPC processor - all wrong decisions!
The 'rise and fall' of IBM from the late '50's until '92 was a classic
example of the 'rise and fall' theory.  What is really scary in this respect
is that IBM if spite of having the advantages of starting the computer
business with products is all phases of that industry, consisted of selected
people - overwhelming college graduates, had no financial concerns, had no
internal racial, gender, crime, ..  problems, had a world-wide 'intranet'
since the late '60's and yet its upper management in the mid-'80s (largely
with main-frame backgrounds) still lacked the foresight of understanding the
role of the PC, multimedia and the Internet.  In short, even though the IBM
community was orders of magnitude better (education, work-ethic, morality,
...) than the United States community, they still 'blew it' - just like every
super-power in the past.  Hopefully, citizens of the United States will keep
this 'histroy lesson' in mind.
Ted Kircher

Ted Kircher

------ End of Forwarded Message