Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Now we have a new internet daddy

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:00:39 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Ari Ollikainen <Ari () OLTECO com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:15:26 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Now we have a new internet daddy

Tim??!! No COMMENT!!!

LAWRENCE ROBERTS,ROBERT KAHN,VINTON CERF & TIM BERNERS-LEE,FOUNDING
FATHERS OF INTERNET,PRINCE OF ASTURIAS AWARD FOR TECHNICAL AND
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH

www.fpa.es/ing

    So why not add Tim, too, to the ever growing list of fathers of
    the Internet? After all, success has many fathers...

    Reading through the press release caused me to wonder how well the
    august jury did their homework to conclude that Larry Roberts
    is "... now the president of Caspian Networks, one of the
    United State's premier applied research centres."?

    As a former, early employee Packetcom/Caspian and current
    stockholder of Caspian Networks Inc., I can categorically state
    that Caspian is a private corporation engaged in developing a
    product for the core of carrier IP networks and most assuredly
    NOT a research center!   Perhaps the concept of a start-up
    company didn't survive the translation from English to Spanish?

    While Larry, Vint, Bob, and Tim will get to split the ~$1 million
    prize, the rest of us can pat ourselves and each other on the
    back for a job well done:

    "A myriad of people and institutions were involved in this work.
    The jury wishes to acknowledge them all in awarding the prize to
    the four leaders of so extraordinary a development."

  _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
  You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination is out of focus.
                                  -- Mark Twain.

        OLTECO                    Ari Ollikainen
        P.O. BOX 20088            Networking Architecture and Technology
        Stanford, CA              Ari () OLTECO com
        94309-0088                415.517.3519

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/