Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Curb the Endless Ringing of the Telemarketers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 18:56:57 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Monty Solomon <monty () roscom com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 23:21:38 -0400
To: undisclosed-recipient:;
Subject: Curb the Endless Ringing of the Telemarketers

May 18, 2002

Curb the Endless Ringing of the Telemarketers

By JOHN J. MILLER

WASHINGTON

It happened again the other night: I was bottle-feeding the baby when
the phone rang, just out of reach. I put the baby down - he
immediately started to squawk - rose from my chair and picked up the
receiver. The caller wasn't my wife saying when she'd be home or my
editor wondering when I'd file. It was a tape-recorded message from a
local window dealer offering a free estimate. By the time I had hung
up, my little boy was in a full-blown cry.

A few days later, at a weekly strategy meeting for conservatives, I
listened to the usual presentations from candidates, think tanks and
interest groups. Toward the end, a representative from the
telemarketing industry bad-mouthed a proposed Federal Trade
Commission rule change that he said would expand government power and
throttle small business - the sort of thing that normally reminds me
of why I'm a right-winger.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/18/opinion/18MILL.html

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: