Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: IP: Secnet11 an 802.11b clone with Type 1 crypto

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:22:02 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:17:55
To: farber () cis upenn edu, ip <ip-sub-1 () majordomo pobox com>
Subject: Re: IP: Secnet11 an 802.11b clone with Type 1 crypto

At 04:23 AM 6/18/2002 -0400, Dave Farber wrote:
o the message address is encrypted to prevent traffic analysis (this
is a big selling point vs VPN technology, tho I suspect an adversary
could learn quite a bit about a wireless net using a sniffer and one
or more directional antennae to count how many packets come from each
direction)

Merely encrypting the link (no matter how strong the encryption and key
distribution might be) is insufficient.  So the idea that this is "vs VPN
technology" is a flawed concept.   You still need to encrypt the data on an
end-to-end basis.  The link encryption is primarily useful against traffic
analysis and preventing interlopers from hogging capacity by requesting
transmit slots, whether they use them or not.

I hope the NSA is not recommending these *instead* of end-to-end security -
if so the engineers involved should be fired.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/