Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Positive TSA experience

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:36:24 -0400

From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Dave-

I had my first encounter with a TSA (US govt Transportation Security Agency)
security checkpoint at JFK airport last friday.  And I was very, very
impressed.  The right mix of professional, respectful and efficiently
thorough. They smiled. They greeted passengers. They exuded a relaxed
confidence and control. Utterly different from the minimum wage
rent-a-clowns they are replacing.  And --this is the big surprise-- the
experience was also better than the norm at overseas airports such as
Heathrow, Frankfurt or Hong Kong.

The difference is customer service. If banks ran the way airport security is
traditionally run, every depositor would be treated as a potential
bank-robber when they walked in the door. TSA has reversed this attitude --
their posture seems to be to treat the flying public as their customers.
They weren't wary or authoritarian; they were welcoming. This has never been
the case with Argenbreit and their ilk, but frankly, it has also never been
the case overseas where a para-military/tough cop attitude prevails, even at
great airports like Frankfurt. For the first time in two decades (and nearly
two million miles) of flying, I left the TSA security area feeling like a
citizen and not a suspect.

And none of this customer-friendliness seems to come at a cost of
thoroughness.  To the contrary, it appears to further basic security goals.
For example, when they ask a passenger to remove their shoes, they take the
passenger to a roped-off area that has chairs and carpet. After the
now-sitting passenger removes their shoes, the screener then also wands
their extended foot and lower leg to determine if there is anything metallic
hidden under their socks.  Admittedly, the sight has an Orwellian cast
(imagine a shoe store in "1984"), but if I have to remove my shoes, I'd
still prefer this to hopping around in stocking feet on a concrete floor in
the middle of a mass of traveling humanity.

Now, this is merely a sample of one, but if my experience with JFK security
is typical, TSA's next challenge will be juggling visits by airport
delegations from around the world, eager to see what security done right
looks like.  And, I should add, more than a few police departments could
learn a lesson or two from the TSA as well.

The TSA url is: http://www.tsa.dot.gov/

-p
The nature of reality is this:
It is hidden, and it is hidden, and