Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Sad news -- John Cocke

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:16:32 -0400

John Cocke dies yesterday afternoon after being in the hospital for several weeks and seeming to be on the mend.

Those of us who knew John will deeply miss him. He was influential in so many areas of computer science. I first met him when I visiting IBM to talk with the Stretch design team. At that time, the architecture group was housed in a vault at IBM (converted). Not that it was classified but that that was the only free space available. To get to them you rang a bell and the door then was opened. Anyway, John was so broad that almost anything you wanted to discuss he was happy to be an expert at .. from skiing to the Fortran compiler to floating point arithmetic to good food to risc architectures to how telephone systems should have been built -- all accompanied in those old days by the chewed cigarette butts -- the mark John had been there (as well as the burn marks in our couch in California).

I especially remember stories (I saw the desk draws) about the un cashed paychecks and un-vouched expenses that drove IBM up the wall.

We will all miss John, a giant has left us and will be missed.

Dave

The brief bio from the Franklin Award given to John:

John Cocke earned a Bachelor of Science in mechanical engineering in 1946 and a Ph.D. in mathematics in 1953 - both from Duke University. Dr. John Cocke was with the IBM Research Division from 1956 to 1992. During that time he also served as a visiting professor for a year at MIT and for two years at NYU's Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. He has written 21 journal papers, and holds 22 patents.

Honors and awards received:
From IBM in 1979: the Corporate Outstanding Award for the system architecture concepts of the 801 Minicomputer System - the first RISC machine;
from IBM in 1990: the John E. Bertram Award for Sustained Excellence.
He is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Sciences, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. His many awards include the Turing Award from the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), the Pioneer Award from the Computer Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). In 1991, he received a National Medal of Technology, and in 1994 he was awarded a National Medal of Science.

Now therefore, for invention, development, and implementation of Reduced Instruction Set Computer architecture and program optimization technology, THE FRANKLIN INSTITUTE AWARDS its CERTIFICATE OF MERIT to JOHN COCKE.

The citation for the Turing award

For significant contributions in the design and theory of compilers, the architecture of large systems and the development of reduced instruction set computers (RISC); for discovering and systematizing many fundamental transformations now used in optimizing compilers including reduction of operator strength, elimination of common subexpressions, register allocation, constant propagation, and dead code elimination.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/