Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Lab (LBNL) Reports Misconduct in Claim of New Elemen

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 05:08:00 -0400

July 14, 2002
Lab Reports Misconduct in Claim of New Element
By GEORGE JOHNSON

A year after an international team of scientists at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California withdrew the claim that it had discovered a new element — the heaviest so far — officials at the laboratory have concluded that the flawed research was the result of scientific misconduct, officials said on Friday.

The laboratory's director, Charles Shank, acknowledged at an employees' meeting on June 25 that scientific misconduct had occurred, said Ron Kolb, who is in charge of communications at Lawrence Berkeley.

"The laboratory has taken appropriate corrective action to deal with the individual involved in the fabrication," Mr. Kolb said in an e-mail interview on Friday.

He said the researcher, whom he said he could not identify because of personnel rules, was challenging the finding through the laboratory.

Fifteen names appeared on the paper announcing the discovery, which was published on Aug. 9, 1999, in Physical Review Letters. Working with a cyclotron in a Berkeley laboratory, the team reported that it had bombarded lead with krypton and yielded the new substance. The team called it element 118 because of its logical position in the periodic table. After several laboratories, including Lawrence Berkeley, could not repeat the experiment, the original data were reanalyzed.

"We discovered some data had been massaged," said Dr. Lee S. Schroeder, director of the nuclear science division at the laboratory. "Scientific integrity is the currency we deal in. We absolutely have to maintain the highest level."
A formal retraction will appear in the July 15 issue of the journal.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/