Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: interesting additions to Welcome to the Telecom Dark Ages

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 06:20:23 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dave Burstein <dave () dslprime com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:04:43 -0400
To: Andrew Odlyzko <odlyzko () dtc umn edu>, david () priorintelligence com

Subject: Re: IP: Welcome to the Telecom Dark Ages

Andrew

         I ran your data by Worldcom at the time, who simply referred me
back to Sidgmore's comments as the original source, which they stood by. So
even if he's not a crook, his judgment is so questionable I wouldn't want
him running Worldcom. I also asked Jim Crowe of Level 3 a direct question
with your data, and he simply said "We know what the numbers are, and it
doubling every 120 days."

          When I first understood your data two years ago, I was so
incredulous I checked it intensely with carriers,  several of whom (not for
attribution) confirmed it. That included a 10-25% actual increase per year
in bit demand per subscriber from two of the largest consumer ISPs. Add that
to new users and news apps (gas pumps), and your 100-150% number is probably
generous.

          I refer to you as the $10B man, a modest estimate of what you
would have saved AT&T alone if Armstrong had listened.

db