Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Article: Marshall McLuhan vs. Marshalling Regular Expressions

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:25:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Oram <andyo () oreilly com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 08:25:17
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Article: Marshall McLuhan vs. Marshalling Regular Expressions

A re-evaluation of the potential for electronic media;
Marshall McLuhan updated by some observations about computer
hacking:

  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/07/08/platform.html

"McLuhan portrayed electronic media as an assault against
reasoned choice. We swallow everything that comes across the
radio waves; we can no more differentiate and filter
television images than a newborn baby can distinguish what
is put in its mouth. Infantilism reins in mass media, as
viewed from the vantage point of the 1960s. But with digital
processing, we can become finicky eaters indeed. Now we
analyze, we extract, we rotate and we scale."

Andy Oram  O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.        email: andyo () oreilly com
Editor     90 Sherman Street                       voice: 617-499-7479
           Cambridge, MA 02140-3233                  fax: 617-661-1116
           USA                          http://www.oreilly.com/~andyo/
Stories at Web site:
The Bug in the Seven Modules     Code the Obscure     The Disconnected

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/