Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Leader Views WorldCom as Security Issue for the Nation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 05:55:20 -0400

[Sounds like -- either bail us out or nationalize us comments. I like the "his management team was not responsible for the company's accounting problems" -- I thought he was always part of the team?? djf]

John W. Sidgmore, the chief executive of WorldCom, said yesterday that the survival of the company was a national security issue and that his management team was not responsible for the company's accounting problems. But he did not rule out a bankruptcy filing.

Mr. Sidgmore also made the case that WorldCom, which carries about a third of the world's Internet traffic on its network, was a crucial part of the nation's communications infrastructure and an important competitor in the telecommunications industry. "I believe it is in the interest of our national security, American consumers and the millions of WorldCom's customers and shareholders to make WorldCom's survival a top priority," he said.

Mr. Sidgmore's plea for greater understanding of WorldCom's importance did not appear to garner much sympathy from federal officials. Michael K. Powell, the chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, made no commitment to assist WorldCom after meeting with Mr. Sidgmore yesterday.

Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, when asked by reporters whether WorldCom's difficulties posed a security risk, said, "I am not worried about the risk to the Pentagon from a single company having a change in its corporate situation."

Of course, even if WorldCom files for bankruptcy protection or is acquired by outside investors, there is little chance that its operations would be disrupted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/03/business/03TELE.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/