Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on HP uses DMCA club to thwap computer security researchers

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:40:44 -0400

I second this djf

------ Forwarded Message
From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:40:11 -0400
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: IP: HP uses DMCA club to thwap computer security researchers

Dave - For IP, if you like ..... also sent in response to Declan's article.

I find it sadly amusing that technology companies see "security debate" on
the same level as "piracy" or "copyright controls." What it really serves as
is a corporate secrecy tool and (as was said) cudgel against any and all
potential enemies.

HP, in its infinite wisdom  - the same wisdom shared by Ken Lay and Bernie
Ebbers - has opened a Pandora's Box here. Next you'll see folks saying that
public disclosure of the generic password on the default Unix "guest"
account will be prosecutable under DMCA, or that a given exploit uses a
"buffer overflow" to cause its damage is likewise criminal to speak of.

I believe system-level security is MUTUALLY-EXCLUSIVE from copyright
protection  -- or more accurately, the 'economic security' of the vendors.
Taking reasonable steps - including public disclosure of exploits and their
code - to protect a user's system from unauthorized compromise IN NO WAY
impacts the copyright rights of HP, unless HP wrote the exploit code that's
being publicly shared w/o permission....in which case it's truly their fault
then, but they're using DMCA to conceal their embarassment and duck
responsibility.

The way we're going, thanks to HP's legal geniuses, we may as well call
NIST, NSA, SANS, and IETF to rewrite a new 'industry standard' definition
for 'computer security' that places the vendor's profit and public image
above the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of end-user data and
systems.

Bleeping idiots. Congress and Corporate America. When it comes to technology
policy, neither has the first clue.

rick
infowarrior.org

------ End of Forwarded Message