Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Interesting new book I just got

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 19:19:13 -0400

I just had the great fortune of meeting George Dyson -- one of the offspring of Freeman aand brother of Esther. He is a
truly intereswting person (and ison IP).

He wrote atime ago "Darwin Among the Machines" that was praised by all who read. He just gave me his new book "Project
Orion" The True Story of the Atomic Spaceship.

It is a lively and interesting story of a great adventure which could have gotten us to the stars and is to quote Sir
Arthur C. Clark "essential  reading for anyone interested in government bureaucracies and the military-industrial
complex.

I found it difficult to put down to go to sleep.

BTW I am in Aspen as a member of the Markle Foundation Task Force on Nation SecurityIn the Information Age. The
membership of the Task Force is one of the most interesting collection of great and interesting people I have had the
pleasure of working with in years.

Info on the TF is on the marke web site www.markle.org

The Compaq iPAQ with the Verizon Express Net card and the compaq keyboard is a big win for lightness and ease of use --
and it fits in my pocket.

It does need aslightly better email than MS inbox.

Dave

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/