Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Letter to Congress on Engineering Unemployment] IEEE addresses the myth of the skills shortage.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:18:25 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Nathan Cochrane <ncochrane () theage fairfax com au>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:43:34 +1000
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: [Fwd: IEEE-USA 07/12/02 Letter to Congress on Engineering
Unemployment]

Hi Dave

This content in this letter from the IEEE should be no surprise,
although it comes a bit late.

IEEE addresses the myth of the skills shortage.
http://www.ieeeusa.org/forum/POLICY/02July12.html

For years those such as Dr Norman Matloff at UC Davis have been
preaching to the choir that there is no desperate IT skills shortage;
just an attempt by big companies to expand supply so as to reduce their
costs.

Debunking the Myth of a Desperate Software Labor Shortage
http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html

This is as true in other Western countries as it is in the US.

Even in the boom times there was great unemployment in certain areas,
poor conditions in many others. US IT professional industry groups
complained that foreigners were taking their members' jobs, much like
the blue-collar unions did a generation or two ago.

But it was no holiday for imported IT workers, who were basically used
as slave labor, doing the same job sitting alongside their US colleagues
and earning a fraction of the salary. Meanwhile, valuable skills were
leached from developing economies as their people left for where the
grass, dollar bills and hopefully the cards were greener.

'In a July 13, 1999 column by Nathan Cochrane in an Australian
publication, Fairfax IT, computer graphics guru Carsten Haitzler noted,
"Be wary of H1-B visas in the USA - you basically get shackled to a
company...Being a non-American in the USA is almost like being a
second-class citizen."'
http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html

In Australia, the problem has been tackled, at least in part, by
reducing by more than half the Migration Occupations in Demand List
(MODL), compiled by the Australian Government to assist selecting new
arrivals.

Security experts join list of most-wanted migrants
"The list of jobs on the MODL has shrunk to a dozen, from a high of 26
last year, mostly centred on big-ticket e-business implementations and
operating systems expertise, and is expected to fall to just a handful
in the next few weeks."
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/07/15/1026185154225.html