Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Denver Post's Ed Quillen on privacy

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:40:27 -0500

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:02:20 -0700
To: dave () farber net
From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat org>
Subject: Denver Post's Ed Quillen on privacy

Denver Post columnist (and long-time SNOBOL4 fan) Ed Quillen, in his usual tongue-in-cheek style, discusses the implications of a small flyer he found in this month's phone bill.

--Brett Glass

A losing qwest for privacy

By Ed Quillen Denver Post columnist

Tuesday, January 08, 2002 - Our friendly local telephone monopoly, Qwest, has announced that it will use what it knows about us in order to get us to spend more money with Qwest.

To be fair, note that if you enjoy "please hold until the next service representative is available" messages, you can call Qwest toll-free at 877-628-3732 and request that your information be kept private. They'll doubtless handle that with the same efficiency they've demonstrated on installation and repair orders.

What information are we talking about here?

According to the brochure that came with my last telephone bill, "Account information includes details about your service, such as how many lines you have; features you may subscribe to or use as well as calling and billing records. For toll calls that you are billed for, the information includes the number the call comes from, the number it goes to and how many minutes the call takes."

There's no mention of unlisted numbers when Qwest explains that "your name, address and telephone number are not generally considered confidential account information."

Where would this information go? "We expect to share information with Qwest companies" such as the wireless, directory and long-distance divisions. And "we may provide account information to firms that have marketing arrangements with us."

So, if Qwest acquires new subsidiaries, or if it cuts marketing deals with other companies, then it can sell our telephone records.

It's already difficult to be sure which companies are connected with Qwest. For instance, if you sign up for Qwest DSL service, you get an account on msn.com, as in MicroSoft Network, and so presumably Microsoft has a "marketing arrangement" with Qwest and would be entitled to use your telephone records.

As for Qwest subsidiaries, there are some that don't get listed in the formal corporate structure.

For instance, Qwest acquired the assets of US West. My state senator, Republican Ken Chlouber of Leadville, in 1999 observed that "the Colorado General Assembly is brought to you by US West." So our legislature was presumably one of the US West assets that came under Qwest when the companies merged....

Full text at

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,150%257E320534,00.html

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/