Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: interesting arithmetic : BBC: Spotting the face of deception

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:42:02 -0500

From: "Hugh D. Hyatt" <hugh_hyatt () dwave com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

There are additional reasons beyond Bob's why this won't work, even
assuming the technology works as explained in the article:

> Using the equipment, the scientists managed to correctly identify as
> guilty seventy-five percent of the 'criminals', while 90% of the
> 'innocent' group were successfully cleared of blame.

There are approximately 500 million airline passengers annually (see
http://www.faa.gov/apa/speeches/031298spjg.htm, in which Jane F.
Garvey, FAA Administrator says "The number of passengers carried on
commercial aircraft will nearly double over the next 15 years, reaching
one billion by 2015.") If a dozen of these passengers try to hijack or
blow up planes annually, this system will identify 50,000,000 people
(or about 100 per minute or 1 out of every 10 passengers on each
flight) as potential criminals.  Of these, 9 (75% of the actual
'criminals') will be actually intending to commit criminal acts.  Then
what?  How do you separate the wheat from the chaff?  And don't forget
that this system missed 3 passengers who presumably went on to commit
the criminal acts they intended.

On 3 Jan 2002, at 21:26, David Farber wrote:

> [...]

Hugh D. Hyatt

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/