Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Esther Dyson replies to RIAA, says CD copyright laws necessary

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:10:26 -0500

Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 09:12:36 -0800
From: Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

David Farber writes:

> >Subject: Re: FC: John Gilmore on Ukraine doing the right thing, fighting
> >RIAA
> >Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:57:02 -0800
> >From: David Lawrence <david () online-today com>
> >To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan () well com>
> >
> >On or about 1/3/02 7:31 AM, a certain Declan McCullagh [declan () well com]
> >wrote:
> >
> >[John Gilmore:]
> >>Reader, in case you didn't know, every color Xerox machine and color
> >>laser printer prints the serial number of the machine on every page
> >>they produce, covertly hidden in the output, under a long-standing
> >>private "arrangement" with the US Treasury Department.  I have been
> >>unable to confirm whether this is also true of black-and-white xerox
> >>machines.
> >
> >What in the HELL is he smoking? This is laughable. Are we just being
> >goaded by someone who is a conspiracy theorist?

It's interesting that people are still so skeptical about this, when
even Xerox's published specifications for copiers often mention it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=counterfeit-deterrent-marking

Just to be absolutely sure, I asked Xerox directly about whether there
are serial numbers in color copier output, and they confirmed it.

http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/xerox.txt

"The Secret Service has the ability to track a particular document to the
source equipment that has produced a suspect image. This information is
used for criminal investigation purposes only. The Secret Service does
not provide this information to private individuals or companies, nor do
they allow other parties to access this information. To detail how these
anti-counterfeiting systems work would only encourage the illegal acts
they are designed to prevent."

(They didn't say anything about color printers, only color photocopiers.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/