Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Highspeed w/ Verizon Wireless?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:19:11 -0500

From: "Alan A. Reiter" <reiter () wirelessinternet com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: Highspeed w/ Verizon Wireless?
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:47:29 -0500

Hi Dave,

Gimme a break!  It's this sort of stuff that has helped destroy confidence
in wireless data.

I am amused, but not surprised, that Verizon is -- like virtually every
other cellular carrier in the world -- hyping the speed and misleading the
public.  "144K bps" -- yeah, right....and pigs will fly.  This is hogwash.
If you believe those speeds, I assume you will believe the "up to" speeds of
GSM GPRS -- which is typically 20K bps - 40K bps, if you're lucky enough to
be in coverage and the connection doesn't drop when you hand off to another
tower.

Verizon's 1xRTT network will -- unless their engineers have godlike
powers -- probably provide typical speeds to subscribers of 40K - 60K bps.
In Korea, where 1xRTT has been around for a while, speeds can be 70K bps,
and a bit higher.

But unless there is no one in the vicinity using the, you are in perfect
coverage range sitting on top of the tower, your handset is capable of
achieving 144K bps and there are no trees, buildings or air molecules in the
way, you won't get anything close to even half of 144K bps.

This is **not** to say that 1xRTT speeds will be awful. Indeed, I believe
the majority of users will be satisfied if they can get data rates that are
close to landline dial-up, say, 45K bps.  This speed is do-able with 1xRTT,
even at the outset.  Assuming Verizon offers reasonable pricing (not
necessarily a valid assumption), 1xRTT systems could, finally, offer "good
enough" service to make "wireless Internet" something more than today's joke
over cellular.

As for Verizon becoming "the only competitor in the US market to offer high
speed connectivity"......does that include Sprint?  Sprint and Verizon will
begin fighting it out to compete for customers and mindshare.  Sprint is,
arguably, ahead of Verizon in launching a nationwide network.  Emphasis:
"nationwide" -- not selected areas.  Sprint will launch in the middle of
this year and it promises nationwide coverage.  When Verizon launches, will
it be across the country?

Of course, when will you get a **good** selection of handsets? When will you
be able to buy a 1xRTT PC Card (let alone Compact Flash) modem for your
laptop or PDA?

The wireless industry IS making progress with data, but they are also
progressing very nicely with their hype.

Alan

Alan A. Reiter, president
Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing
**consulting, workshops, publications**