Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: : Enron's America

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:48:19 -0500

Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:06:23 -0700
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: "Robert M. McClure" <rmm () unidot com>
Subject: Re: IP: Enron's America

This is a little like Claude Rains famous line in Casablanca, "I'm shocked,
shocked, to find gambling going on here."

My reading of American history tells me that commercial influence into
government policy making extend back at least to Thomas Jefferson and
probably John Adams,  maybe even Washington.  It has steadily increased
since then.  The solutions, if any are needed, are much less clear.  Clearly
you do not want to exclude commercial voices from the decision making
process as they often have the greatest wisdom and knowledge.  However,
you would like to prevent undue influence.  I can make the same argument
vis-a-vis academia, labor, ecology groups, and other miscellaneous and
sundry special interests.  Simplistic answers just will not do.

Bob

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/