Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Enron's America

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 19:44:54 -0500

To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:49:53 -0800 (PST)

From: tv () sprex com (Thomas Veatch)

Dave,

With Enron's evident ownership of government policy-making in its
areas of business concern, the Enron bankruptcy scandal is bringing to
public attention a previously unrecognized level of systemic
corruption of America's elected government.  We see business writing
government policies in its own interest, instead of representatives of
the American people working in the interest of the American people as
a whole.  This makes it worth revisiting a post-election essay
(11/21/2000) I wrote drawing some inferences from the close races that
seem to now be endemic to our system.  The same message now comes from
a different direction.  So maybe it's true.

The essay is at this URL.

        http://www.tomveatch.com/election.parity.html

And here is an excerpt.

        It is clear that political issues divide into consumer issues
        that bring in the votes, and corporate issues that bring in
        the money. These two types of issues overlap slightly, with a
        few consumer issues being adequate to raise significant
        financial support for campaigns, such as, perhaps, the NRA's
        support for anti-gun-control candidates. But for the most part
        in today's electorate, consumer and corporate issues are
        independent: Corporations largely don't care about abortion
        rights policies, gun control, educational vouchers, minority
        rights, etc., which various consumer constituencies *do* care
        about very much.  And consumers in our comfort-oriented
        political age largely don't care that much about the arcana of
        trade agreements, business regulations, and corporate welfare,

        As models improve and candidates continue to competitively
        adjust their platforms, the margins of victory will correspond
        to the decreasing error of the models.

        But this parity depends on the strength of the two-party
        system in its ability to blackmail voters even at the extreme
        edges to stay within the system, voting for, as they will
        always consider it, the lesser of two evils. This strength is
        constituted by the inability of third parties to be taken
        seriously, which fundamentally comes from their inability to
        attract corporate funding. Thus the foundation of the parity
        we observe is the simultaneous funding of both -- and none
        other than -- the two major parties by and for the benefit of
        corporations and their issues, insuring against the rise of
        alternative parties, particularly those that may threaten the
        corporate-issue monopoly.

Regards,

Tom Veatch
Ph.D. Linguistics, U Penn, 1991.