Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: : Must...have...MORE spectrum

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:18:56 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
[Note:  This item comes from reader Benn Kobb.  DLH]

From: Bennett Kobb <bkobb () newsignals com>
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Must...have...MORE spectrum
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:11:04 -0800

Dave Hughes wrote:

[FCC should] approve and encourage FAR more advanced radio designs, including smart radios, than what they approve now

Which suppliers of advanced radio designs and smart radios are telling the FCC that regulation is blocking them from the market?

they would wake up under public, media, and Congressperns pressure and (1)
 open up more spectrum to be 'shared,'

Is anyone advocating additional spectrum for 802.11? I mean, anyone with a financial interest in it? I don't see anyone doing that.

I would think that if unlicensed needed more spectrum, there would be howling over the FCC's proposal to reallocate the UPCS bands to 3G (from unlicensed to licensed). I don't hear much protest.

Unlicensed might well need additional spectrum in the future. But by the time that is clear, good candidate spectrum is likely to have been auctioned away as the private property of licensees.

To paraphrase top FCC officials: if you want spectrum to be freely available for all, open to the public as a commons, then you can just go and buy it.

That is the mentality to overcome. Perhaps not in the sense of defeating it so much as crowding it out.

Benn Kobb

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/