Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: airport security with a bag of wires etc

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:04:31 -0500

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:47:47 -0600
From: Jim Brenton <brentonj () swbell net>
Subject: RE: your posting
To: "'Dennis L. Bark'" <bark () hoover stanford edu>
Cc: farber () cis upenn edu

Mr. Bark,

Here is the link to Washington Times article you requested:
http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020119-79003878.htm

I have just returned home from my trip on Southwest Airlines and found your
message waiting.  My recent experience with airport security was interesting
in the very least.

At Kansas City, my computer bag full of cables, network hub, and some AA
batteries, ignited the interest of the civilian scanners.  Hence, I got to
remove my shoes and totally empty out the bag.  The bag and my shoes were
most thoroughly examined for 15 mins including two trips through the X-ray
machine and wipes to look for explosive residue.  We turned on my computer
and the folks seemed surprised to find WinNT screens, not Win 98 or
something they were more familiar with.  They didn't really understand the
need or use of hub and my Cat 5 cables.  Finally after final pat down and
hand scan, I was allowed to pass.  The only real damage was my fellow
travelers received boarding numbers in the 1-30 range, while I received a
pass with 121 on it.  Since I was much later to arrive at the Southwest
boarding gate where boarding numbers are assigned, I had a middle seat for
the next 3 hours.  There was an SPEC4 from 35th ID, KS ANG observing the
whole affair but he was really more interested in making sure boarding pass
numbers matched up with Southwest Airline's plastic passes.

In Orlando, I stayed at an Embassy Suites near airport that also quartered
about 20 FL ANG members on TDY to provide airport security.  I understand
that there were others at several other local airport hotels.  The ANG is
getting excellent rates on local hotels (troops are billeted two to a  room)
and working 12 hour shifts (14 hours counting guard mount and travel to/from
hotel and airport).  They do not receive any days off and they are putting
in very long days to provide airport security.  The Spec4 and SSGT I spoke
with both indicated they had been there over four weeks and were now anxious
to return back to their homes and jobs in FL.  Both were extremely sharp,
polite, and in a short discussion about their previous military assignments
and backgrounds, very well suited for the task.  They were not Military
Police, but had instead received special training for task at hand.  One was
late 20s and other early 30s.  Both had been previously deployed to Bosnia
on peacekeeper duties while on active duty in Germany.  Extremely sharp
uniforms and exemplary behavior in hotel indicated a strong chain of
command.

My return trip via Orlando with my computer bag full of wires likewise
attracted security attention, but the wait was only 5 mins and the bag and
shoes only had to go through the X-ray once this time.  FL ANG personnel
were simply observing activity in main terminals and occasionally walking
through the satellite facilities.

Jim Brenton, CISSP
Principal Network Security Architect
Corporate Security