Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Boingo!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:49:07 -0500

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

Boingo!

Chic wireless hotspots are more than a local source for high-speed Internet access with a cup of cappuccino. As a matter of fact, public hotspots are a hot bed of aggregator activities in the Wi-Fi marketplace.

by Gerry Blackwell
[January 22, 2002]
<http://isp-planet.com/fixed_wireless/business/2002/boingo.html>

It takes all kinds to make a wireless roaming world.

We already have the Wayports and Mobilestars, pioneering public access wireless network operators.

We also have a slew of local and regional johnny-come-latelies and free-wireless peaceniks adding to the public access footprint a few hotspots at a time.

We have iPass and GRIC, carry-overs from the dial-up roaming era, feverishly adding high-speed Wi-Fi hotspots to their rosters.

And now we have a new breed of roaming access player: the wireless-only hotspot aggregator. Meet Boingo Wireless Inc.

Boing, boing, boing
Founded by EarthLink Chairman Sky Dayton, the new company's chief executive officer and chairman, Boingo is based in Santa Monica, CA with about 35 employees. Day-to-day operations are handled by President David Hagan.

So why do we need a Boingo if we already have all those other players?

Before we try to answer that question more fully, consider this response from the marketplace.

Even though at the time of writing it was still officially in beta mode-the commercial launch is later in January-Boingo already had 750 wireless hotspots across he U.S.

According to Hagan, this represents 96 percent of the available wireless POPs in the country. In other words, Boingo has managed to make partners of almost all of the public access wireless network operators out there.

Neither iPass nor GRIC can match these totals, especially not in North America-their Wi-Fi power bases are mainly in Asia Pacific.

How did Boingo manage this feat? How did it out-aggregate the big-time aggregators even before its commercial launch?

No doubt, the heavy-weight EarthLink presence had something to do with it. But Boingo also has some interesting differentiators.

Unlike iPass and GRIC, it is targeting individual business travelers first rather than enterprises. What it's offering is extreme ease of use.

"We're trying to bring wireless roaming to the masses," Hagan says.

"Our target is the road warrior who feels the pain of not being able to get high-speed access. We're making it really easy for him to authorize and authenticate. We offer one bill, online invoicing. It's really very simple to use."

One of the things Boingo spent its seed money on was developing dead simple client software that incorporates a wireless access point "sniffer." It can detect any available hotspot within range and associate with it automatically-including where footprints overlap, and including free hotspots.

The program also lets users search for a particular hotspot by location in its table of sites.

The sniffer technology is essentially what Microsoft incorporated in Windows XP-Boingo has simply ported it down to Win98 and ME. But it does raise the alarming specter of Boingo subscribers using the company's software for war driving-sniffing out unprotected corporate WLANs.

Hagan dismisses this.

"It's really the network operator's business and responsibility to make sure they're protecting their network," he says. "Whether it's a corporate or public access network. Most of the networks our software locates are protected."

Boingo and its partners use a variety of methods to authenticate subscribers, explains director of product management Christian Gunning.

"We use existing authentication methods, plus we hand key [network operator partners] some additional information so they recognize the subscriber as one of ours," Gunning says. "They pass it to us, we authenticate and pass it back to them."

"Partners don't have a whole lot to do [in terms of technology integration.] We're using industry standard protocols, existing authentication techniques. It's just minor tweaks here and there."

Hagan believes the corporate market will eventually emerge-Boingo is already working on an enterprise offering. But he sees public access Wi-Fi evolving more like the cellular market.

"Enterprises will become interested," he says, "once they realize there are quite a few individuals in their companies who have bought our service."

<snip>

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/