Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: This Week's Clue: We Don’t Need No Steenkin' Wires

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 13:13:39 -0500

From: "Dana Blankenhorn" <danablankenhorn () mindspring com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

(This will be posted Friday at http://www.a-clue.com/newsletter.htm).

A-Clue.Com
by Dana Blankenhorn
Volume VI, No. IV
For January 28, 2002

This Week's Clue: We Don’t Need No Steenkin' Wires

A niece down in Texas recently moved to a ranch some ways out of town. She
wanted phone service, but SBC (her local Bellco) said that not only would
she have to pay hundreds of dollars to run a wire from the road to her land,
but the phone company would own that line. When others needed it she’d get
nothing.

I pointed out that she and her husband both had their own cell phones. Then
I thought, a dish antenna could bring more TV channels than our cable box,
plus broadband data service. If someone ran a line of 802.16 connections to
town and put up an antenna she could have 11 Mbps Internet service. “Why she
can be more connected than we are,” I concluded.

This got me to do some serious thinking. Why do we need wires at all? Phone
and cable upgrades cost billions of dollars and take 25 years to pay off.
They improve service, but only arithmetically. Wireless services seem to be
improving logarithmically, and if the price-performance doesn’t go up right
alongside Moore’s Law the principle is the same ­ you upgrade by simply
changing boxes on either end. Instead of looking for a phone switch, just
find a fiber connection -- from there bandwidth is both unlimited and free.

Wi-Fi could be the straw that breaks the wired world’s back, but that world
won’t go away quietly. Subsidies for wires are really what Tauzin-Dingell is
all about, and equipment suppliers (represented by TechNet) seem to be key
to getting the bill through. The techies are waffling
(http://www.newsbytes.com/news/02/173658.html).

Stopping subsidies will be very difficult. Today’s wired infrastructure may
represent $1 trillion in investment. If the government stands back and lets
the market work, if it does nothing and watches Wi-Fi take over, then that
investment will have to be written off.

The question then occurs, can the economy afford the hit? Take a look at
some of the companies that would likely go bankrupt ­ SBC, Bellsouth,
Verizon, Qwest, AOL-Time Warner, Comcast, AT&T, Sprint, Worldcom. (You
thought Enron was a big political contributor ­ these boys wrote the book.)
Think of the hundreds of thousands of workers employed on today’s wires, and
the millions more who create and sell equipment for the wired
infrastructure. Forget Lucent and Nortel -- could even Cisco survive?

My response to that is, can the economy afford not to take the write-off?
Aren’t we already paying too much for an obsolete wired infrastructure?
Already, long distance charges are rising
(http://www.msnbc.com/news/691506.asp). Cable plans cost nearly twice what
you pay each month with a dish. My second phone line, which is only used by
the fax machine, costs me nearly as much as my cell phone. How many price
increases can Americans stomach before they get the message? At this rate
China and India will be better places to do business in 10 years from now
than New York City ­ their wireless systems will cost less to use and
deliver more service.

Right now, however, it seems that Washington is determined to prop up the
old order in any way it can. The decision to slow cell phone number
portability
(http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/wireless/2002/01/21/wireless-carriers.ht
m) really has nothing to do with cell phones. It means that if you switch
from a wired to an unwired phone your number won’t follow you, increasing
your switching costs and (perhaps) keeping you on the wire a little longer.

The point today is everything has unintended consequences, even Moore’s Law.
Enron was one consequence ­ you can’t make a market in a free good, and
Moore’s Law makes fiber bandwidth a free good. We’re about to find another.
Air is easier to upgrade than metal. Enron was a political earthquake. This
looks like an economic tsunami.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/