Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: biometrics....

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:24:01 -0500

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:18:22 -0500
From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 11:29:16AM -0500, David Farber wrote:
| >From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>

| >why anyone should believe in the unassailability of that
| >particular technology, as opposed to any other technology,
| >is beyond my meager abilities.

There's an interesting switch in the article which obscures what I
think is a key point:  Who is attacking the system, and how?

Denning starts by discussion biometrics that work for her ('umpteen
zillion account names and passwords in order to use the computers in
my office...'), and then switches to biometrics such as face
recognition technology that may work on behalf of someone else.  (I
can see putting face recognition in a camera on my pc, but it seems
more generally used to scan for pretty women in crowds.)

I don't see that biometrics as a good idea for managing passwords more
securely leads to it being a good idea for scanning crowds or airline
passengers.  That the same sort of technology is applied seems to be
the main link.

Bruce Schneier and I applied a very similar analysis (that the
security of the system depends who controls and benefits from the
technology) to smart-cards in
http://www.counterpane.com/smart-card-threats.html

Adam

--