Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: Medal of Honor fails to impress airline security

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:25:52 -0500

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:54:49 -0600
From: Jim Brenton <brentonj () swbell net>
Subject: RE: Medal of Honor fails to impress airline security
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave,

The referenced article points out several areas of concern.  One, very few
Americans these days have any exposure on experience with the military,
except what they see on TV and that is extremely distorted.  Two, what kind
of common sense are the airline security personnel exercising?  Three, where
were the armed National Guard soldiers that are supposed to be overseeing
the operation--surely they should know what a MOH looks like?  Finally, how
many of the security personnel or even the National Guard personnel are
sufficiently aware of WWII history to know a "real hero" when they see one.

It has been 10 years since I retired from the Air Force, after 23 years in
ICBM operations and communications.  Yet, I never continue to be amazed and
disappointed by the lack of knowledge of many Americans with respect to
people and history.  I would also apply this final point to many members of
the U.S. Congress as the number of military veterans in that body has
greatly declined since the draft ended in 1968.

Sorry for the rant, I realize that you don't normally post these types of
steam after hearing about Gen Foss and his airport encounter.

Must retire to bed now since I have to get up at 3AM to catch my 7AM flight
tomorrow for business trip.

Jim Brenton, CISSP
Principal Network Security Architect
Corporate Security

The views above are entirely my own do not represent my employer in any
manner or form.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/