Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: end of thread -- Halon Alarm

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 15:01:00 -0500

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 11:54:25 -0800
Subject: Re: Halon Alarm
From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
To: <RICHSHILL () aol com>
CC: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>

Rich,

Thanks for your note. I am not one of the 100% types you describe, but and I
am well-informed on the topic of global warming, and also on the subject of
fire control and fire extinguishers. I simply don't see the benefit of
selling Halon extinguishers to anyone other than to trained professionals or
for controlled industrial applications. The fire professionals I spoke with
were of the same mind.  The vast bulk of fires do not require halon at all,
and Halon is in fact is a lousy way to put out conventional fires. It would,
for example, be at best a mediocre extinguisher for general household use.

And about "tiny quantities," Griots is a huge operation and who knows how
many they might sell?  Each unit holds more CFCs than is in a refrigerator
or air conditioner, and those industries are going to great trouble to
recover old CFCs and otherwise avoid releases.   And consider another "tiny
quantity" application: photographic "canned air" (in fact, it was a cfc)
products used for dusting off slides and negatives.  The photo industry has
redesigned these products to be CFC-free, so they obviously consider their
"tiny" application important nonetheless.  While everyone else is thusly
struggling to avoid Halon and CFCs, it strikes me as just a bit dumb to be
spraying it out of household fire extinguishers.

Perhaps the common ground between our two views is this.  If Griots is going
to sell Halon, they have a duty to inform the consumer about two things:
--the environmental impact of halon, and
--the appropriate use(s) of halon extinguishers.

Then at least consumers can make an informed purchase decision, and
hopefully, use their Halon responsibly.  But at present, Griots fails to
deliver even this minimal amount of information, and no matter how you slice
it, that is bad business.

Best
-p

on 1/20/02 11:05 AM, RICHSHILL () aol com at RICHSHILL () aol com wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Gosh, is the sky falling too? People who are convinced that 100% control of
> 100% of potential harmful substances, without regard to use or quantity are
> living in a dream world.  Halon is a good fire extinguisher.  To sell it in
> what are tiny quantities to individuals, with the object of putting out
> fires, is OK in my book.
>
> Go after the utilities, who probably put out more greenhouse gas in a day,
> than Halon fire extinguishers would in a century.
>
> Richard Shilling (Please note, a name - not "-r")

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/