Interesting People mailing list archives

Fw: Re: IP: Story on broadband reform efforts

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:52:30 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Sid Karin <skarin () ucsd edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:04:15
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: Re: IP: Story on broadband reform efforts

Dave,

There are a lot of pieces to the broadband puzzle, he said, and the FCC does
not have jurisdiction over all of them. For example, even if broadband is
available to all Americans, subscriptions automatically would be
constrained by
the number of households that own a computer.

This is a static analysis of a dynamic situation.  I don't know what
would happen
if broadband were ubiquitously available, but I don't think that the FCC does
either.  It seems reasonable to  expect that new services and new devices
would become available.  Some might require a computer (keyboard, mouse, screen
and pizza box), but some might might not contain a visible computer;  think
TiVo for example.  I wonder how many people have a Tivo or similar device,
but "don't have a computer"?   And what are the projections for the next year?
Or 5 years?

        Cheers,

                ........Sid

--

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sidney Karin, Ph.D., P.E.              858-534-5075 (voice)
                                        858-534-5064 (fax)
                                        skarin () ucsd edu

      Professor,
      San Diego Supercomputer Center