Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: I'm ( Gordon Cook) learning (re Enron and Andersen)

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:05:55 -0500

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:14:51 -0500
To: farber () cis upenn edu, Stan Hanks <stan () tta com>
From: Gordon Cook <cook () cookreport com>
Subject: I'm learning (re Enron and Andersen)

In reading today's New York Times I see that my take on Enron and Andersen was naive. Evidently *all* the big five accounting firms run huge consulting operations with generally their best clients being the firms that they ALSO audit. Furthermore all the big five have been harshly criticized by various regulators for this continuing practice.

I meant to suggest no conspiracy, but from various reactions I can see that some readers thought otherwise. I also was unaware of the existence of internal warfare within Andersen re its own consulting at the time.

Consequently, I now understand what seemed to me to be newsworthy as a conflict of interest between Enron and Andersen was not at all unusual and in that sense not especially newsworthy and hence not really worthwhile in calling attention to.

Information that I thought was adequate was really inadequate and consequently I stumbled into a briar patch on territory that I did not know well. I don't agree with Stan's interpretation of my action. However, while it was also I who sent Stan the post from IP, I understand better now why he was offended and certainly regret any offense caused to Stan and to Lin.

Please share this with IP.
--

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/