Interesting People mailing list archives

two notes on the economics of Hot spots etc.

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:05:41 -0500

TWO NOTES. DO READ Sky's response after Andys djf

From: Gordon Jacobson <gaj () portman com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:50:16 -0500
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Andy Seybold Skeptically Looks at Cometa's WiFi Business Model

Dave -

I have permission from Andy to send this to the IP list and for you to post
it if you find it an interesting follow-up to the previous postings.

GAJ

In todays Outlook for Mobility Publication, Andy Seybold comments on the
ability of Cometa - the new Joint Venture of AT&T, Intel, IBM, Apax
Partners and 3i - to make a profit.

Gordon Jacobson

Cometa Wholesaling Wi-Fi Access

Wi-Fi hotspots are becoming the next gold rush for the computer and
telecommunications industry. But is that gold in the hills or just fool's
gold? Last week three big players, AT&T, IBM and Intel, along with two
investment companies formed a new company called Cometa. Their plan is
simple: Deploy over 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots in the 50 largest cities and
wholesale wireless data to whoever wants to buy it and resell it.

Since no terrestrial network has ever made money offering data-only
services, what do these folks know that the rest of the industry does not?

Okay, let's see if I have this correct. Intel, IBM, AT&T (not wireless),
Apax Partners and 3i have formed a new company called Cometa that is going
to put into service and then wholesale Wi-Fi access in the top fifty U.S.
cities so that Wi-Fi access is only a five-minute walk away from any city
dweller and a 5-minute drive away from a suburbanite. With 20,000 Wi-Fi
access points?

Let's play with some math here. Each access point today can cover a
roughly circular area out to about 300 feet from the center. That works
out to about 283,000 square feet per access point. 20,000 of these access
points will provide about 203 square miles of Wi-Fi coverage spread out
over the 50 largest U.S. cities or 4 square miles of coverage per city.

To put this in perspective, a typical 850-MHz urban cell site covers a
radius of three miles or 28 square miles. This means that Cometa plans to
provide coverage equivalent to less than one-fifth of a cell site per
city. Access points will be scattered around the cities in locations where
groups of people want and need high-speed wireless access.

The announcement didn't mention anything about airports so I assume it
will leave airports to others and T-Mobile already provides access at
Starbucks coffee shops. That still leaves plenty of territory for Cometa.
But it will probably run out of access points if it unwires a single
university in each city. So I have to ask what the big deal is.

There are ten or so hotspot providers today with more than 4,000 hotspots
located in more than 300 cities in 43 states. Adding another 20,000 is a
significant undertaking but I don't see anything in Cometa's announced
plans about aggregating access to hotspots already in place. If this is
the case, Cometa will become one of ten or more players that wide-area
wireless operators will have to deal with when putting together their own
wide-area/Wi-Fi offerings.

Cometa admits that the backhaul is one of the most costly parts of putting
together a Wi-Fi hotspot system. But since AT&T (the long distance
company) is part of this new company it will be able to make use of AT&T's
existing high-speed backhaul and thereby save a lot of money. What this
means to me is that AT&T will underwrite the cost of the backhaul and many
of the hotspots will be located where AT&T already has wired high-speed
connectivity, not necessarily where there is demand. But until we see how
and where Cometa rolls out its own hotspots it won't be possible to fully
understand its business model.

There are two established types of hotspot users: Those who travel and
want and need access back to their corporate information (using some type
of secure Virtual Private Network or VPN) and those who are local to a
hotspot location and visit a Starbucks or other caf in order to take
advantage of higher-speed access than they have at home. These two groups
have very different usage patterns. Local folks want to sit in a caf
sipping coffee for several hours while surfing the Internet while business
travelers, for the most part, want to set up their system, get to their
corporate LAN, download their email, check their calendar, perhaps
retrieve a file and get off the system.

Cometa appears to be aiming at both of these groups and we will have to
wait to see whether it can be successful as a wholesale Wi-Fi service
provider. With today's business models it is difficult to figure how a
wholesale company can make money. On its Web site, Boingo states that
hotspot operators get $1.00 per connection through Boingo. If they sign up
Boingo users they receive an additional finder's fee. At $1.00 per
connection how can a hotspot provider that doesn't have high-speed
backhaul in place for some other purpose stay in business?

One keys to Cometa's success or lack thereof will be how cost effectively
it can set up this business and how lean it can run. The company will be
located in two locations, one on the East coast and one on the West. Even
if AT&T gives away its backhaul (which I doubt), I can't see how Cometa
can make a profit. None of today's hotspot providers are making any money
there have already been a number of failures (T-Mobile bought MobileStar
at pennies on the dollar). I have to wonder what secret sauce Comenta has
that the others don't.

Yes, the demand for Wi-Fi access is growing and yes, wide-area operators
are trying to figure out their own play in this space. But the number of
mobile users who are willing to camp out at a location, boot up their
notebook computers, log onto the provider for that location and then use
the service (at a reasonable price) is a small fraction of the notebook
user population. I believe that the only way to justify the cost of an
extensive public Wi-Fi hotspot network is if there is a value proposition
beyond the pay-for-usage model. The benefits realized by the company that
bills the customer for Wi-Fi service must go beyond the fees they receive
from customers. Intangible benefits include keeping a wide-area
voice-and-data customer from jumping ship to another network with a
combination wide-area and hotspot system, adding revenue per user (ARPU)
that can be quantified or perhaps even selling more coffee.

I believe in hotspots and I use them often (but only the ones with
reasonable pricing). I also use my wide-area wireless data PC Card often.
I do want a combination Wi-Fi and wide-area wireless data service but I
want to receive a single, reasonable bill. Cometa's idea of becoming a
Wi-Fi wholesaler is interesting and if it were the only company a
wide-area wireless network had to deal with in order to obtain a large
enough Wi-Fi footprint I might believe that it had broken the code.

Someone at Intel or IBM or AT&T or all three must believe that there is
money to be made as a Wi-Fi hotspot wholesaler. I welcome any of them or
the folks at Comenta to share their business model with me and prove to me
that it can make money as a standalone business for the partners that have
invested in it.

In the meantime, the Wireless LANd grab continues. Wide-area wireless
companies are trying to figure out how to put together the best locations
at the best pricing for their own customers. They are trying to figure out
how to charge for both wide-area and Wi-Fi data access because they know
there is a demand. But it appears to me that Wi-Fi hotspots may become
similar to the dot-com frenzy: lots of folks believing all of the hype
that surrounds this new, hot set of services getting into it without
filling in the blanks on a spreadsheet.

Those who move ahead because there is a business case, those who can prove
to their investors that they can make money here and those who have
stepped back and looked at the total size of the market and how much of
that TAM they can capture should be moving full speed ahead. Those who are
jumping into the Wi-Fi hotspot market because the industry is looking for
the next big thing and Wi-Fi is it had better take a few days off, walk
around the block or on the beach, and then sit down with their
spreadsheets and figure out how they are going to make money at the Wi-Fi
game!

Andrew M. Seybold

------ End of Forwarded Message