Interesting People mailing list archives

Security and Freedom

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 14:46:27 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: "John F. McMullen" <observer () westnet com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 08:42:43 -0500 (EST)
To: "johnmac's living room" <johnmacsgroup () yahoogroups com>
Cc: Open Source Intelligence Network <osint () yahoogroups com>, Declan
McCullagh <declan () well com>, Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Security and Freedom

I'm listening to Dan Elsberg's book in the car and, in talking about the
Pentagon Papers' Court Case, says that, for the first time, the government
attempted in a court case to put security issues ahead of Constitutional
freedoms (press) -- now over 30 years later, we find ourselves comcerned
with the same issues -- security vs privacy and Constitutional guarantees.

Richard Clarke's description of WiFi as a terrorit tool and his calling
for its curtailment is troubling. It sounds to me like saying "Crooks
obtain money from banks ... so close the banks". We don't do that -- we
secure the banks. I personally don't care if an access point that I use is
secure. I'm looking for places to send e-mail to this list and that's open
to anyone reading it for all I care. Much of the material that I send is
already published; the rest is opinion that I stand behind no matter who
reads it.

Let's get serious about both security AND the Constitution and not "throw
out the baby with the bath water".

As Rush Limbaugh (no great intellect) has been known to say "This is my
opinion .. and it
should be yours"

   "When you come to the fork in the road, take it" - L.P. Berra
   "Always make new mistakes" -- Esther Dyson
    Pierre Abelard
   "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    -- Arthur C. Clarke
                          John F. McMullen
                 johnmac () acm org johnmac () cyberspace org
              ICQ: 4368412 AIM & Yahoo Messenger: johnmac13
                  http://www.westnet.com/~observer

------ End of Forwarded Message