Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: (and one that I have always asked) another airport question (from New Scientist)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 09:35:26 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Charles Arthur <charles () ukclimbing com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 11:42:20 +0100
To: dave () farber net
Subject: another airport question (from New Scientist)

Hi ...

The Feedback column of New Scientist is always worth reading (though
confusingly it's not feedback, it's usually wry observations on stuff).

This week they had a query from Rachel Cave, a reader. "Can anyone explain
to me why, in the post-11 September tightening-up of security, I must put
my eyebrow tweezers in my hold luggage or risk having them confiscated as a
potential weapon, but I am allowed to carry on board a heavy glass club
containing a highly flammable liquid which can be converted to a lethal
weapon by smartly rapping it on the nearest bulkhead?

"There are hundreds of these weapons for sale in every duty-free shop."

--

(To which one might think: sure, the FBI/CIA told them that Muslims don't
drink alcohol, so of course they would never go in a df shop.... would

    Charles

http://www.ukclimbing.com : 1100+ British crags, 350+ British climbing
walls - searchable by distance and anything else you care to think of -
with weather forecasts for every one, plus maps, articles, news and
features. And there's even a cool shop attached.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/