Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Security Czar Points Finger of Blame (should be at Governments)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 10:09:38 -0400

For years , many of us have been fighting the GovernmentS desire to restrict
cryptography endlessly warning them that the inability to use strong
encryption (or in some places any) weakens the security of the electronic
world.  Yet endlessly we have seen attempts to control the use of
cryptography or so weaken it as to be ineffective.  Our cell phones are
insecure, our email is insecure and worse our internet is painfully
insecure. Our computer systems and their software are so insecure as to be
laughable.

I only hope Clarke can change that attitude but I doubt it. The position of
law enforcement has been and will, I suspect remain, that strong encryption
and secure systems makes it hard to catch crooks so we will all continue to
live in cyber-houses without locks and suffer .

Dave