Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: : Carly calling!

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:16:05 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Saffo <psaffo () iftf org>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:08:44
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject:  Carly calling!

Dave-

    Below is a transcript of a voice mail message from Carly Fiorina,
Hewlett-Packard's chairman and chief executive officer, to Bob Wayman, the
company's chief financial officer.  The latest in the HP debacle, the
transcript of a voicemail leaked to the Merc  in which Carly talks about
doing "Something extraordinary" to persuade two key investors to come over
to her side on the merger.  The company sez it was entirely legal, but it
sure does not pass the smell test.
Read on...
-p

------
Posted on Tue, Apr. 09, 2002
Title: SEARCHING FOR VOTES

Days before the impending merger, or not, with Compaq, a tense Carly Fiorina
called a  colleague and said they¹d have to do "something extraordinary" to
get deal with HP done --according to forwarded voicemail left with the
Mercury News.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/3032968.htm

   The message was left on Sunday, March 17, two days before HP shareholders
met in Cupertino to vote on HP's hotly contested proposal to buy Compaq
Computer. The Mercury News received an anonymous audio copy of the message
earlier this week.

   To hear the message, visit http://multimedia.realcities.com:
8080/ramgen/bayarea/news/carlyshort.rm

   Hey, Bob, it's Carly. It's Sunday night.

   Talking to Alan Miller again today. He remains very nervous about
Deutsche Bank and Northern Trust, given what he's hearing and what he's
seeing.

   And so the suggestion is that you call the guy at Deutsche Bank again
first thing Monday morning. And if you don't get the right answer from him,
then you and I need to demand a conference
   call, an audience, etc., to make sure that we get them in the right
place. So, Alan is feeling like you need a definite answer from the vice
chairman, and if it's the wrong one, we have to swing into
   action.

   On Northern Trust, we've seen a piece of their votes move against us, and
we're nervous. We're getting information from some of our arbs -- you may
remember the guys at Citadel who have
   been very helpful -- they think they're having a meeting on Monday
potentially to change their vote.

   So, again, we'll probably have to get on the phone first thing Monday
morning. So, if you would take Deutsche Bank, I'll take Northern Trust, get
on the phone and see what we can get, but we
   may have to do something extraordinary for those two to bring 'em over
the line here.

   OK? Thanks! Hope you had a great weekend and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Bye.

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/