Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Prepare nukes -- The New World Order -- our rights ...  Falwell goes to WIPO (!)

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 03:47:51 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Hunter, Dan" <hunterd () wharton upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:24:40 -0400
To: "'Dave Farber'" <dave () farber net>
Subject: IP: The New World Order -- our rights ...  Falwell goes to WIPO (!)

Dave:

I'm a panelist, so make any bias-adjustment you think appropriate, but
here's my $0.02:

(1) The First Amendment isn't really implicated here.  Even if the panelists
find for Falwell, the UDRP isn't going to shut down the site, just force it
to move to a different domain name.  So your comment adds a lot of heat to
the debate without adding much light.

(2) A number of panelists interpret the terms of the UDRP (specifically para
4.a.(ii)) to conclude that parody sites are not cybersquatting.  Though I
admit that there has been a distressing number of my fellow panelists who
have found infringement in domains like danhuntersucks.com.  (Actually, only
a few of these cases are as bad as they sound, but that's a story for
another day).

(3)  If you insist on the false dichotomy between the Bill of Rights (Good)
and WIPO (Evil), and ask who has priority, then guess what?  Evil wins.  The
Bill of Rights is a local ordinance.  It applies to a tiny percentage of the
world's population.  If you want to deal with transnational problems like
cybersquatting--and the UDRP deals with the problem, if imperfectly--then
you're gonna have to suck it up when it occasionally comes back to bite you
in the ass.

Ok, I'll head off to the bunker now. [Activate the flame shields, Scotty]

muchos smoochos

Dan.

----
Dan Hunter