Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: . RE: six months since the anthrax attacks....

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 14:30:47 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: "Turner, Jim" <Jim.Turner () mail house gov>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 14:54:54
To: "'farber () cis upenn edu'" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: RE: six months since the anthrax attacks....

Dave,

     When I think back over the last six months, the biggest change the
anthrax attack has brought about in the Congress is that it has forced us to
take technology more seriously.  Even today, the average piece of mail we
get is two or three months old.  I have had just one or two pieces of first
class mail arrive that were sent in March and none from April.  This in turn
means that e-mail traffic, fax, and phone are the ways we communicate.  All
Members and key staff on the House side have been given Blackberries tied
into the House e-mail system and I think most staff at least know how to use
them.  This in turn is switching us to electronic rather than paper filing.
If we still had the fastest mail service anywhere, none of this would have
happened.

Jim Turner