Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a view from the Netherlands Wrong Number Why Your Phone Company Hates DSL

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:13:03 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Erik Huizer <Erik.Huizer () nob nl>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 16:10:49 +0200
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP: Cringely on DSL  or Sorry, Wrong Number Why Your Phone
Company Hates DSL

Dave,

To balance this message.

I've just switched to DSL. Until recently none of the DSL providers in The
Netherlands would give me a public address space and as I served for
several years on the IAB , I felt I had a moral obligation not to use NAT
:-) (beside that my IPsec VPN would no longer work).

Recently SURFnet, the excellent academic and research network in the
Netherlands started a cooperation with BBned an incoming DSL provider. I
immediately applied for a test account (fortunately I am working part time
at a university, so I was allowed to do so). The connection, the
modem/router and a /29 public address space were delivered without to many
problems and without much delay.

Now I am enjoying up to 8 Mbit/s downstream. Last week I ran three parallel
MPEG1 streams (at 1.5 Mbit/s) from my companies MPEG1 Dlay TV server and
behold the performance was pretty good. With only two parallel streams it
was excellent, with no delays or jitter to be observed.

Of course I now want fiber, but until that is affordable, this is as good
as it gets.

Erik Huizer

------ End of Forwarded Message

For archives see: