Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: more on Bushido

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 12:09:07 -0500

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:05:12 -0800
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: IP: Bushido

At 8:46 -0800 4/3/02, Steward Brand wrote:
Two things struck me about Tom Friedman's column in the Sunday NYT.
One is, he said right out loud what no one else has acknowledged in
print, that the Palistinians are now winning, thanks to the suicide
attacks.  Two, he warned that if they succeed, suicide attacks will
proliferate everywhere and darken the world.  That's a compelling and
frightening piece of logic.

In the US my wife Ryan and I have been watching with horror the
growth over the last 15 years of what we call "the perfect crime."
Man comes home, kills his wife, kills his children, kills himself.
Man goes to work, kills some co-workers, kills himself.  Kid goes to
school, kills some adults, kills some students, kills himself.  We
seem to get a new one every week these days, and as with the
Palestinians, women are starting to do it.  There is no defense, no
retribution, no justice---it's the perfect crime, and copycats are
proliferating.

    Sounds to me a lot like the world as outlined by John Brunner
in his 1969 Hugo winning classic SF novel, "Stand on Zanzibar".
"Muckers" - people driven into homicidal rages by intolerable living
conditions sound eerily familiar to what Steward is describing.
Check out the book at Amazon.com:

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1857988361/qid=1017852805/sr=12-1/10
3-4083406-5004619>

-- Dewayne