Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: [wvud-ops] Webcast 'Day Of Silence']

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:08:08 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Mackenzie <davemack () UDel Edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:05:24
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: [Fwd: [wvud-ops] Webcast 'Day Of Silence']

Dave,

I thought the IP group would be interested in this.

Dave Mackenzie
University of Delaware

Kurt Hanson Proposes Webcast 'Day Of Silence'

The Radio And Internet Newsletter publisher, who also operates
SaveInternetRadio.org - http://SaveInternetRadio.org a website that
provides information and support to webcasters that wish to protest the
Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel's proposed performance royalties -
has
proposed that on May 1 webcasters attract attention to their concerns by
shutting down their streams. Hanson says, "I'd like to propose that
webcasters send out a distress call - 'Mayday! Mayday!' - via a 'Day of
Silence,' combined with a request to our listeners to use the silent
time
to write to their congressional representatives, local newspapers and
favorite journalists about their concern." For webcasters that don't
wish
to go offline entirely, Hanson suggests they go silent for part of each
hour or combine short periods of silence with PSAs about the issue. For
more information, visit http://www.kurthanson.com.

Congressmen Express Concern About Webcast Royalties

"We are concerned that the CARP proposal is contrary both to the intent
of
the DMCA and Congress' general policy not to stifle innovation on the
Internet," says a letter signed by 20 members of Congress and sent
yesterday to Librarian of Congress James Billington. Among the signers
are
Reps. Rick Boucher and Chris Cannon, whose Music Online Competition Act
would amend some provisions of the DMCA. The letter continues, "We want
ensure that all creators are fairly compensated for their work. We are
concerned that the CARP-recommended rates for sound-recording copyright
owners are, however, high in comparison to historical royalty rates,
such
as rates paid by terrestrial broadcast radio to songwriters and music
publishers." After stating that the absence of a percentage-of-royalties
alternative "seems to undermine entirely the ability of small webcasters
to survive," the letter urges the Copyright Office to consider the
greater
innovation and programming diversity that numerous online services can
provide. The Copyright Office has until May 21 to accept, reject or
amend
the CARP's proposed fees of .07 cents per performance for AM and FM
rebroadcasts and .14 cents per performance for Internet-only streams,
plus
a 9% ephemeral-license fee for all webcasters.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/