Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: sfo

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 05:46:51 -0500

Do read tbe end. Djf

WE HEAR YOU: A group of deaf people has sued California's San Francisco
  International Airport, charging the facility flagrantly violates the
  needs and rights of deaf travelers. The airport, which recently
  completed an $840-million renovation, apparently did nothing to upgrade
  its services for the deaf and hard of hearing, such as erecting signs
  to give travelers information about emergencies, and acknowledges it
  does not have a sign language interpreter on staff. "We abide by the
  current codes," claims airport spokesman Ron Fong. And while the
  airport has text telephones for deaf travelers, the cords on the
  airport phones are not long enough to reach them, making them useless.
  "That's not our fault," Fong says. "Our security people say if we made
  the phone cords any longer, they could be used as a weapon." (Los
  Angeles Times) ...Perhaps, but the lawsuit is mightier than the nail
  clipper.

For archives see:
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/