Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FCC Okays Bid for Broadband Satellite Service

From: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 10:25:03 -0400

------ Forwarded Message
From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>

[Note:  This item comes from reader Steve Stroh.  DLH]

From: "Steve Stroh" <steve () strohpub com>
To: "Dewayne Hendricks" <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: FCC Okays Bid for Broadband Satellite Service
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:41:50 -0700

FCC Okays Bid for Broadband Satellite Service

Seven companies granted permission to offer high-speed Internet access using
shared frequencies.

Laura Rohde, IDG News Service
Friday, April 19, 2002

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Thursday granted seven
companies permission to offer services such as broadband Internet over
satellites.

The satellite companies were given licenses to offer satellite services over
shared Ku-band frequencies (10.7 GHz through 14.5 GHz), the FCC said in a
statement.

The FCC granted licenses to Hughes Electronics, in El Segundo, California;
Boeing in Chicago; Teledesic, in Bellevue, Washington; Virtual Geosatellite,
in Washington D.C.; and Denali Telecom, SkyBridge, and Loral Space &
Communications in New York, according to FCC records.

Sharing Satellites

The FCC also approved a sharing method for the satellites that would be
freely orbiting around the Earth, so as to address the problem of
interference between the satellites, the U.S. governmental agency said.

"Today we will have seven companies providing services in the Ku-band. But
it is a very complex sharing arrangement and I'm thankful that we were able
to work with the industry to come up with this specific type of remedy,"
said FCC Commissioner Kathleen Abernathy at the hearing, which was broadcast
over the Internet.

There will be times when interference will occur when various satellites are
in a direct line of communications and on the same frequency, what is know
as an "in-line interference event," the FCC said. When that happens, the
systems involved will split the frequency band for the duration of the event
to avoid disruption of communications, the FCC said.

"We will now, I think, be able to hold real promise for another platform to
the home to compete in the broadband space. And that is fabulous because we
know that more competitors drive down prices and drives more products and
services to customers," Abernathy said.

Thanks,

Steve

------ End of Forwarded Message