Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: IEEE says authors must certify papers to beDMCA-violation-free

From: David Farber <dfarber () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:52:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Cherry <s.cherry () ieee org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:47:37
To: declan () well com, "David J. Farber" <farber () cis upenn edu>
Subject: Re: FC: IEEE says authors must certify papers to be
 DMCA-violation-free

Dave and Declan,

I've talked to the editor in chief, and the editor in charge of our
opinion pieces (which isn't me). Ross Anderson was indeed invited by
IEEE Spectrum to write an opinion piece in the magazine. We did, and
do, have a very high regard for his various expertises and his
dedication to important issues for computing and the on-line world.
Nevertheless, we'd like to correct a few inaccuracies in the message
from him that was posted by a third party.

The original manuscript was fine, but was written for insiders who
are immersed in European regulatory issues and already have a
background against which to read such an article.

There was disagreement about the editing from the outset, and rather
than get into some long hoohaa about it, it seemed best to set the
manuscript free. It was an excellent idea to post the piece, where it
will have reached an appropriate audience in advance of 18 April.

Regarding the Newsforge posting, I'm told that removing the reference
to the DMCA from the IEEE Copyright Form is in the works and was
planned even before the posting. Queries can be directed to the
manager of copyrights and permissions, Bill Hagen <w.hagen () ieee org>

Thanks for the chance to respond,

  Steven

--
   Steven Cherry, +1 212-419-7566